It’s an obvious conclusion that insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Consumers who shop for lower rates are very likely to buy a new policy because there is a good probability of finding a more affordable policy. A recent survey revealed that drivers who did price comparisons regularly saved as much as $850 each year compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the lowest price for auto insurance in Sacramento is why you’re here, then having some knowledge of how to get free comparison quotes and analyze coverage rates can save time, money, and frustration.
Truthfully, the best way to find more affordable Chevy Silverado insurance is to compare prices annually from different companies in Sacramento.
- First, try to comprehend how your policy works and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, careless driving and poor credit history can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. Read the full article for more ideas to lower rates and get discounts that may be available to you.
- Second, obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy and determine if cheaper Silverado coverage is available. If you find better rates and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
A valuable tip to remember is to use similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to analyze all possible companies. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and a thorough selection of prices.
How to buy Chevy Silverado insurance online
Getting low cost Chevy Silverado car insurance pricing is actually quite simple. All that’s required is to invest a little time to get quotes online from several insurance companies.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Premium rates and analysis
The data table shown next covers detailed analysis of insurance policy prices for Chevy Silverado models. Having a good grasp of how prices are formulated is important to be able to make smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$184||$298||$500||$30||$150||$1,162||$97|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$184||$298||$442||$26||$132||$1,082||$90|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$210||$362||$500||$30||$150||$1,252||$104|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$210||$362||$500||$30||$150||$1,252||$104|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$210||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,172||$98|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$210||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,172||$98|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$210||$362||$500||$30||$150||$1,252||$104|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$210||$362||$500||$30||$150||$1,252||$104|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$238||$426||$500||$30||$150||$1,344||$112|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$238||$426||$500||$30||$150||$1,344||$112|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$238||$426||$500||$30||$150||$1,344||$112|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$238||$426||$500||$30||$150||$1,344||$112|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$238||$490||$442||$26||$132||$1,328||$111|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$266||$490||$442||$26||$132||$1,356||$113|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Rate quotes do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can lower or raise coverage rates substantially.
The example below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can influence Chevy Silverado annual premium costs for different age groups. The information is based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Three reasons to insure your Chevy Silverado
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Chevy, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves both your car and your assets. It also can pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your Silverado definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying more than $825 a year so we recommend shopping around at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Insurance rates and discounts
Some providers don’t always list the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so here is a list both the well known and also the more inconspicuous ways to save on insurance.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to study when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematic data system such as Progressive’s Snapshot may see discounts if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class as it can save substantially.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school may save you up to 25%. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Online Discount – Some of the larger companies will give a small break shop Sacramento car insurance over the internet.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO permit an accident before they charge you more for coverage if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you could earn a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find low cost Chevrolet Silverado insurance.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage could qualify for lower insurance rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up could cut 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
A quick disclaimer, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky.
The information below compares Chevy Silverado yearly insurance costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The data is based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver discounts applied.
A few popular companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for emergency military deployment, military active duty, multi-policy, driver training, daytime running lights, defensive driver, and good student.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for good student, accident-free, good driver, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free
- State Farm has savings for driver’s education, good student, student away at school, passive restraint, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Progressive offers discounts including good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, online quote discount, and online signing.
- Mercury Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including location of vehicle, accident-free, annual mileage, low natural disaster claims, multi-car, type of vehicle, and age of vehicle.
- 21st Century includes discounts for homeowners, automatic seat belts, anti-lock brakes, air bags, student driver, good student, and 55 and older.
- Allstate may include discounts for good student, passive restraint, economy car, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and eSmart discount.
It’s a good idea to ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policyholders in Sacramento. For a list of companies with discount insurance rates in California, click this link.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local Sacramento insurance agent
A lot of people still prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! Insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and give you someone to call. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheaper rates and also buy local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is instantly submitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to contact an agency since price quotes are sent to you directly. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting a provider needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- How long have they been in business?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
What types of car insurance agents are in Sacramento?
When researching a local Sacramento insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they work. Agents in Sacramento can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either one can do a good job, but it’s important to know how they differ because it can impact buying decisions.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only provide pricing for a single company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They are unable to shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Some people will only buy from the same agent for years mainly due to loyalty to the company and solid financial strength.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agencies in Sacramento that can give you comparison quotes.
- Bill Batchelder – State Farm Insurance Agent
8887 Folsom Blvd #3a – Sacramento, CA 95826 – (916) 361-3114 – View Map
- Timothy Aust – State Farm Insurance Agent
2710 Arden Way – Sacramento, CA 95825 – (916) 482-5328 – View Map
- Tim Kwong – State Farm Insurance Agent
1035 Jefferson Blvd #5 – West Sacramento, CA 95691 – (916) 371-4730 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent agents are not employed by one company so they can write business amongst many companies and find you the best rates. If they find a cheaper price, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
If you need lower rates, it’s a good idea to include a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with companies that do not advertise much which could offer lower prices.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Sacramento that can give you price quote information.
- Morelos Insurance Agency
5346 Madison Ave – Sacramento, CA 95841 – (916) 482-5500 – View Map
- Ancal Insurance Agency
2641 Cottage Way #2 – Sacramento, CA 95825 – (916) 485-5410 – View Map
- Eugene C. Yates Insurance Agency
2021 P St – Sacramento, CA 95811 – (916) 313-6100 – View Map
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions may help highlight if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- Is pet coverage available?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
The coverage is in the details
Understanding the coverages of your insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance will cover injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people by causing an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 15/30/5 that means you have $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like funeral expenses, pain and suffering, emergency aid, loss of income and court costs. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
Medical costs insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for expenses like chiropractic care, nursing services, funeral costs, surgery and doctor visits. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law (15/30/5), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Collision insurance pays for damage to your Silverado resulting from a collision with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as colliding with another moving vehicle, backing into a parked car, hitting a parking meter and crashing into a ditch. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Silverado to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like rock chips in glass, hitting a deer and hail damage. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Quote more to save more
Cost effective Chevy Silverado insurance can be bought on the web as well as from independent agents in Sacramento, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not offer rate quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers sell through local independent agents.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, high rates after DUI convictions, lack of trust in their agent and delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to compare Chevy Silverado insurance rates in Sacramento. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with a small mutual company.
To learn more, take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Fusion in Sacramento? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Male in Sacramento? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Dodge Grand Caravan in Sacramento? (FAQ)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)