No sane person likes buying car insurance, especially when they are aware that they are paying too much.
Shockingly, over 70% of drivers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for more than four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted car insurance rates at all. Most drivers in Sacramento could save up to 35% every year just by getting comparison quotes, but they underestimate the amount of money they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy. Having so many car insurance companies to choose from, it is very difficult to locate a more affordable company.
You need to do rate comparisons periodically because car insurance prices tend to go up over time. Just because you had the best price on Honda Civic insurance in Sacramento a couple years back a different company probably has better rates today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you're about to learn the tricks you need to know to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Components of Your Honda Civic Insurance Premiums
Lots of things are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or how financially stable you are.
- Certain employers raise premiums - Jobs such as judges, social workers, and accountants have higher rates than the rest of us because of high stress levels and long work hours. Conversely, occupations like scientists, engineers and retirees generally pay rates lower than average.
Your gender affects rates - Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. Now that doesn't mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Males and females cause at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. In addition to higher claims, males also get ticketed for serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
The information below compares Honda Civic annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no other discounts are factored in.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? - Most larger car insurance companies give better rates to policyholders that purchase more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be ten or even fifteen percent. Even if you already get this discount, you still need to get quotes from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Get married and get better prices - Having a spouse may save some money on car insurance. It is viewed as being more stable financially it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Low credit rating equals high prices - Having a good credit rating factor in determining what you pay. People with excellent credit tend to be better risks to insure than those with lower ratings. If your credit score is lower than you'd like, you could pay less to insure your Honda Civic by repairing your credit.
- Save money by raising physical damage deductibles - Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles tell how much you are required to pay if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. Some coverage claims would be collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and damage from wind. The more money you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Get a ticket, pay higher costs - A bad driving record has a big impact on rates. Having a single speeding ticket may increase your cost forty percent or more. Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to those with violations. Drivers who have gotten dangerous tickets such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to legally drive a vehicle.
The chart below highlights how speeding tickets and accident claims drive up Honda Civic annual premium costs for each different age category. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Honda Civic insurance loss data - Insurance companies use past insurance losses when they set coverage costs for each model. Vehicles that the data determines to have a trend towards higher claims will have a higher premium rate.
The next table illustrates the historical insurance loss data for Honda Civic vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles compiled together is set at 100. Numbers below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Honda Civic Insurance Claim Statistics Specific Honda Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda Civic 92 105 68 127 135 121 Honda Civic Hybrid 90 85 106 105 78 Honda Civic Si 126 97 117 124 104BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Rates and data analysis
The coverage table shown next covers a range of coverage costs for Honda Civic models. Having a good grasp of how auto insurance policy rates are determined can assist in making smart choices when comparing insurance quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$576||$442||$26||$132||$1,474||$123|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,576||$131|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,576||$131|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$298||$678||$552||$32||$166||$1,726||$144|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,576||$131|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$298||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,576||$131|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$298||$780||$552||$32||$166||$1,828||$152|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$342||$780||$442||$26||$132||$1,722||$144|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$342||$780||$442||$26||$132||$1,722||$144|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$342||$780||$552||$32||$166||$1,872||$156|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$342||$780||$442||$26||$132||$1,722||$144|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$342||$780||$552||$32||$166||$1,872||$156|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$386||$678||$442||$26||$132||$1,664||$139|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$386||$882||$552||$32||$166||$2,018||$168|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in garaging location in Sacramento which can lower or raise price quotes significantly.
Save money by taking advantage of discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't list all discounts very well, so the following list contains both the well known and the more hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you aren't receiving every discount available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Government Employee Discount - Active or retired federal employment may reduce rates when you quote Sacramento auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Early Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured - Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Low mileage vehicles could qualify for substantially lower insurance rates.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - This one isn't a discount, but companies like Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual allow you one accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Some insurance companies provide a discount for switching policies early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- ABS Braking Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking part in a course that instructs on driving safety could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
Remember that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, you're out of luck.
The illustration below compares Honda Civic auto insurance rates with and without some available policy discounts. The premiums are based on a female driver, no claims or driving citations, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, homeowner, marriage, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-car discounts applied.
A list of insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be read below.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, good student, driver training, and military active duty.
- MetLife offers discounts for accident-free, claim-free, good driver, good student, and multi-policy.
- State Farm may have discounts that include driver's education, multiple policy, defensive driving training, anti-theft, and student away at school.
- Progressive offers discounts including good student, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for professional/association, type of vehicle, good student, multi-car, age of vehicle, and ease of repair.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including homeowners, driver training, defensive driver, air bags, theft prevention, and 55 and older.
- Allstate may offer discounts for eSmart discount, utility vehicle, multi-policy, defensive driver, EZ pay plan discount, and senior citizen.
If you need lower rates, check with each company which discounts can lower your rates. Discounts might not be offered in your state. To find insurance companies offering insurance discounts in California, click here.
You can lower your auto insurance rates
In this article, we covered many ways to get a better price on Honda Civic insurance in Sacramento. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you'll have of finding the cheapest Honda Civic rate quotes. You may even discover the most savings is with some of the smallest insurance companies. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it's very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
How to save money on Honda Civic insurance in Sacramento
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get more affordable car insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Sacramento.
- It will benefit you to learn about coverages and the steps you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that drive up the price such as traffic citations, accidents, and an imperfect credit history can be remedied by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple sources.
- Compare the new rates to your existing rates and determine if cheaper Civic coverage is available in Sacramento. If you find better rates, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
An important note is to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get price estimates from all possible companies. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Additional auto insurance information is available at these links:
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for College Students in Sacramento? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)