Truthfully, the best way to get low-cost car insurance rates in Sacramento is to compare quotes once a year from different companies in California. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- First, get an understanding of auto insurance and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many things that cause rate increases like accidents, traffic violations, and a poor credit rating can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Second, compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote prices for many different companies. Start a quote
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
One piece of advice is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same level of coverage on every price quote and and to get rates from as many carriers as you can. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Amazingly, the vast majority of consumers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for a minimum of four years, and just under half have never even shopped around for lower-cost coverage. Sacramento insurance shoppers could save about $500 every year by just shopping around, but they don’t want to take the time to find lower-cost insurance by shopping around.
Cutting your insurance rates is a great way to save money. The only thing you need to do is take a few minutes comparing price quotes from different insurance companies.
It’s so simple to compare insurance quotes online takes the place of having to drive around to and from local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the personal advice of a local agent. Although you can price shop your coverage online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
The providers in the list below offer price comparisons in Sacramento, CA. To get cheap car insurance in Sacramento, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Dodge Dakota insurance analysis
The data table shown below showcases detailed analysis of policy rates for Dodge Dakota models. Learning a little about how insurance quotes are figured can be useful when making informed coverage decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$230||$478||$520||$30||$156||$1,414||$118|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$230||$478||$520||$30||$156||$1,414||$118|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$262||$478||$520||$30||$156||$1,446||$121|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$262||$478||$520||$30||$156||$1,446||$121|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$262||$562||$520||$30||$156||$1,530||$128|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$262||$562||$520||$30||$156||$1,530||$128|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$296||$478||$416||$24||$124||$1,338||$112|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$296||$478||$416||$24||$124||$1,338||$112|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$296||$562||$520||$30||$156||$1,564||$130|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$296||$478||$416||$24||$124||$1,338||$112|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$296||$478||$416||$24||$124||$1,338||$112|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$296||$478||$416||$24||$124||$1,338||$112|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$296||$562||$416||$24||$124||$1,422||$119|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$296||$562||$416||$24||$124||$1,422||$119|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$296||$562||$416||$24||$124||$1,422||$119|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$330||$562||$416||$24||$124||$1,456||$121|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and homeowner. Estimates do not factor in Sacramento location which can revise prices significantly.
The example below demonstrates how deductibles and can affect Dodge Dakota insurance costs for each different age group. The costs are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no policy discounts are applied.
Buying the right Dakota insurance in California is an important decision
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Dodge in Sacramento, insurance is required in California but it also protects you in many ways.
First, most states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Dakota has a loan, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for it.
Third, insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying over $810 a year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
What Determines Dodge Dakota Insurance Prices?
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower rates. Many things are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, although some other factors are not quite as obvious like where you live or how safe your car is.
Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more you drive annually the more you will pay for car insurance. Most insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. An incorrectly rated Dakota is throwing money out the window. It’s a smart idea to ensure your car insurance coverage shows the right rating data, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Men pay more for auto insurance – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean females are better drivers. Both genders cause auto accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species have accidents that have higher claims. Men also get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI.
The example below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Dakota auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no accidents, no driving violations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
You may save more by consolidating policies – Many insurers will give discounts to buyers that buy multiple policies. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you may still want to check prices from other companies to guarantee you are still saving the most. Consumers may find a better deal by splitting coverages up.
Reserve policy claims for larger damages – Companies in California give cheaper rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Do you need those extra policy coverages? – Policies have additional coverages that can waste your money but may not be useful. Coverage for things like vanishing deductibles, better glass coverage, and term life insurance may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when deciding what coverages you need, but if you’ve never needed them in the past eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
The type of vehicle you drive affects your premiums – The performance level of the vehicle you need insurance for makes a significant difference in your premium level. The best insurance prices are for the lowest performance passenger vehicles, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
The chart below uses these variables: married male driver age 50, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It illustrates Dodge Dakota insurance premiums compared to other makes and models that have different performances.
Premiums can be impacted by your employer – Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupations such as military personnel, social workers, and dentists usually pay higher rates than the rest of us attributed to intense work situations and lengthy work days. Other jobs such as actors, engineers and retirees receive lower rates.
No policy lapses saves money – Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a quick way to increase your renewal premiums. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage could result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You will then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t list every available discount very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to bring down your rates. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Home Ownership Discount – Being a homeowner can get you a discount since owning and maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Life Insurance Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a small discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Distant College Student Discount – Kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Sacramento and do not have access to a covered vehicle could get you a discount.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Good Student Discount – Maintaining excellent grades may save as much as 25% on a Sacramento auto insurance quote. This discount can apply until age 25.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring multiple cars on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than their less cautious counterparts.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car model can save you some money because new model year vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but a few companies such as Allstate and GEICO allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you are claim-free prior to the accident.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Dakota insurance prices with and without policy discounts. Data assumes a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Larger car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are outlined below.
- American Family offers discounts including good student, mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, air bags, Steer into Savings, and accident-free.
- State Farm discounts include Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, driver’s education, and defensive driving training.
- 21st Century may offer discounts for 55 and older, anti-lock brakes, student driver, theft prevention, and driver training.
- Travelers includes discounts for multi-policy, early quote, payment discounts, save driver, and good student.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-theft, air bags, multi-vehicle, membership and employees, and emergency military deployment.
If you need lower rates, check with every insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to see a list of companies who offer discounts in Sacramento, click here to view.
Do I need an insurance agency?
A lot of people just want to buy from a local agent. Professional insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheap car insurance quotes and also buy local.
Upon completion of this quick form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Sacramento who will give you bids for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. If you wish to quote rates from a particular provider, you can always navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurer should include more criteria than just the premium amount. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in California?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
When searching for a reliable insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents from which to choose. Agencies in Sacramento can be classified as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the difference in how they write coverage because it can influence buying decisions.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. They receive extensive training on what they offer which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are Sacramento exclusive insurance agents that can give you rate quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents do not work for one specific company so they can write business with lots of companies and find you the best rates. If they find a lower price, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part.
If you are comparing car insurance prices, it’s a good idea to include rate quotes from a few independent agents to maximize your price options.
The following are Sacramento independent agencies that are able to give comparison quotes.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
When getting Sacramento auto insurance quotes online, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where someone dropped full coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
You just learned many ways to shop for Dodge Dakota insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Sacramento auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Additional detailed information can be found in these articles:
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Fusion in Sacramento? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with Accidents in Sacramento? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Sacramento Car Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- How Much is Sacramento Auto Insurance for a School Permit? (FAQ)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)